The year ahead is unlike no other we have had before because of these wild times of Covid-19. Over the past months, we have been reminded of the power of resiliency, adaptability, communication, and positivity, and we will continue to develop these characteristics throughout the 2020-2021 academic year. It is important that we remain rooted in these values as we settle into our chosen models of Hybrid or Irvine Virtual Academy. And, I am hopeful that at some point students do settle back into their neighborhood school experience so we can see all those smiling, vibrant faces back on campus.
All this being said, I want to enthusiastically welcome you to Sierra Vista Middle School here in beautiful Irvine, California. Our students come from neighborhood elementary schools Brywood, Canyon View, Eastwood, Northwood, Santiago Hills, and Stonegate, and they also matriculate from non-traditional feeder schools as well as from all stretches of the globe. No matter where you went for primary school, we are thrilled that you are joining us for a top-notch educational experience here for seventh and eighth grade.
In order to make the most out of your experience, I have some suggestions to make your adjustment a little bit easier:
1. Be the best version of yourself – every single day. Know your strengths and just as importantly, know your areas of growth. Work on developing yourself in regards to your academics, behavior, and interpersonal skills.
2. Put yourself out there. Take some risks—join a club, ask questions in class, make new friends, try a new instrument. Remember that middle school is an opportunity for you to take on new challenges--whether virtually or in-person!
3. Advocate for yourself. Use your voice to express your needs. Our counseling team is here to help, and they understand the strain Covid has caused. Please reach out to staff if you want or need assistance! Others cannot read your mind; please make sure to practice respectfully sharing your wants and needs with classmates and staff.
4. Work hard and work smart! Effort goes a long way, and we want for you to always do your very best. Get organized from the start so you have a system that works for you, and then focus on what you are learning rather than on the grade. Don’t worry about making mistakes. That is how we learn.
5. Have fun! Get involved here at school by participating in activities we will provide in virtual and in-person formats. Enjoy being a middle schooler and all that we offer here at Sierra Vista.
These pointers should guide you through your middle school experience, and know that staff will also be here every step of the way to help ensure this is a wonderful experience. We look forward to partnering with parents as well so students understand that their home and school lives are intimately connected.
Finally, please remember that you we have a shared responsibility in Charging the Way to ensure you have the best middle school experience possible.