I am so excited to welcome you for the 2023-2024 school year at Sierra Vista here in beautiful Irvine, California. Our students come from neighborhood elementary schools Brywood, Canyon View, Eastwood, Northwood, Santiago Hills, and Stonegate, and they also matriculate from non-traditional feeder schools as well as from all stretches of the globe. No matter where you went for primary school, we are thrilled that you are joining us for a top-notch educational experience here for seventh and eighth grade.
While at Sierra Vista, there are some things to consider so you can make the most out of your experience:
1. Be the best version of yourself – every single day. Know your strengths and just as importantly, know your areas of growth. Work on developing yourself in regards to your academics, behavior, organization, and interpersonal skills.
2. Put yourself out there. Take some risks—join a club, ask questions in class, make new friends, try a new instrument. Remember that middle school is an opportunity for you to take on new challenges. This is a time for you to tap into the YOU that you hope to become.
3. Advocate for yourself. Use your voice to express your needs. Our counseling team is here to help! Remember to use our counselors and our Mental Health Specialist as great resources. Others cannot read your mind; please make sure to practice respectfully sharing your wants and needs with classmates and staff.
4. Work hard and work smart! Effort goes a long way, and we want for you to always do your very best. Get organized from the start. Use your planners so you have a system that works for you. Establish and then keep good work habits, and know that we care just as much about your Work Habits and Citizenship marks than your overall grade.
5. Have fun! Get involved here at school by participating in activities we will provide during and after the school day. Enjoy being a middle schooler and all that we offer here at Sierra Vista.
6. Interact with others and spend less time on devices (unless your teacher would like you to use a Chromebook for educational purposes). You can learn so much from having meaningful conversation by asking questions, sharing insights, and listening to others. We have seen that middle schoolers have much greater focus, better behavior, and positive impact when they engage with humans rather than technology.
These pointers should guide you through your time here, and know that staff will also be here every step of the way to ensure this is a wonderful experience. We look forward to partnering with parents as well so students understand that their home and school lives are intimately connected.
Finally, please remember that we have a shared responsibility in Charging the Way to ensure all students have the best middle school experience possible.