Governor Newsom declared that the majority of schools in the State of California will start on Distance Learning—including schools in Orange County. Here are some key takeaways:
- When the County (not the District) has been off the monitoring list for 14 consecutive days, school can begin in-person. Based on this information, we can still start school on August 20th if there is improvement in Orange County. Currently, we are planning for both events—that we will not meet that threshold and that we will.
- Families still need to put in their choice for Hybrid vs. Irvine Virtual Academy, and the deadline has been extended to Wednesday, July 22nd at 5 p.m. It is vital that each student makes his/her choice as we will move forward with the models regardless. Those electing Irvine Virtual Academy will be enrolled in that school while those electing Hybrid will be enrolled at Sierra Vista. If we are not in person, those Hybrid students will be on Distance Learning with their Hybrid teachers.
- Some may think that they should automatically elect Hybrid if everyone is not available to meet in person. However, they should only do so if they are comfortable with the fact that their students would have to report to school for in-person learning once Orange County has met the 14 day threshold.
Hopefully this information helps you in your decision-making if you have not already chosen the preferred model for your student. It is imperative that all families will have logged onto the Parent Portal and made their selection by Wednesday.
Please make sure this gets accomplished.
The academic models outlined below are aligned with state and local guidelines for schools and designed to meet the interests of our students, staff and families.
Middle and High Schools (Includes 6-8 grade students at K-8 schools):
- IUSD Virtual Academy, hybrid, and blended program (grades 9-12 only) models.
- Secondary: IUSD Virtual Academy, hybrid and blended learning (9-12). Traditional model is only available for Moderate/Severe programming and Autism Specific Programming.
Click here for more details about IUSD’s academic models for the 2020-21 school year.
Academic Model Selection Process
To make the academic model selection for your student, login to the Parent Portal and follow the prompts, for step by step directions click here. You will have through Wednesday, July 22nd to make your selection.
Middle and high school students (including 6-8 grade students at K-8 schools) will be placed in the hybrid model at their neighborhood or assigned school if no selection is made.
Click here to access the Planning FAQ and the 2020-21 Opening and Safety Planning resource page for a wide range of information that can support your decision-making process. After reviewing this information, if you have questions related to your school and the selection process, contact your school directly.
Finally, it is important to note that the School Board voted to require face coverings/masks at all times on IUSD campuses and in classrooms for all staff, students, and visitors. Face coverings/masks may only be removed when maintaining physical distancing of six feet or more and at the direction of a teacher or other staff, or when drinking, eating, or participating in recess/physical activity. Persons with a medical or mental health condition, or disability that prevents wearing a face covering may be exempt per state guidelines. Click here to read more.
Thank you for your engagement and partnership.